Saturday, 4 October 2008

Lucky Number 7

A quick breakdown of the last 7 albums I've bought and how they stack up next to each other. In chronological order of purchase date from the most recent to oldest.

  • Red of Tooth and Claw - Murder by Death
  • The Stand Ins - Okkervil River
  • In the Future - Black Mountain
  • Lightbulbs - Fujiya & Miyagi
  • The Grand Archives - Grand Archives
  • The Rhumb Line - Ra Ra Riot
  • Live at the Old Quarter - Townes Van Zandt
Red of Tooth and Claw - Murder by Death 3/5
The Indiana band's latest album reminds me of Nick Cave in an old spaghetti western. It's dark and burly but rounded out with the unlikely sounds of the cello.

The Stand Ins - Okkervil River 3/5
A decent album from a band that I had heard of but didn't own any of their previous albums. It's good but nothing earth shattering. Calling and Not Calling My Ex is my favorite song. I would like to think at a small venue I might really be into these guys but no tour stops through London yet so I'll have to wait to find out.


In the Future - Black Mountain 3.5/5
I like the heavy dark untones of this album. The more I listen to it the more I like it. It's got a early rock and roll feel that just sinks in after a few listens. Several of the songs make me thing of Black Sabbath. Somtimes a little more mellow like on track 4 Wucan(my fav off the album). Then for a little less mellow check the bashing guitar lick at about 4mins into the 16:41 min epic Bright Lights.

Lightbulbs - Fujiya & Miyagi 3.5/5
Another great album the the UK trio. I don't think it's as good as the first album but it's no sophomore slump either. Kinckerbocker, Pterodacyls and Pussyfooting are the cuts that sell the albums. It's unfortunate these guys haven't been able to crack a larger audience but the music just doens't seem to translate to the mainstream. Fine by me though just makes the concerts a little less crowded.

The Grand Archives - Grand Archives 3/5
I've given this album several listens and just still can't get into it. Part of the problem is it's from one of the original members of Band of Horses. Inevitably I want to compare the two albums and the new BOH is so unbelievable good that this album seems to get left behind. Another band that seeing them live will likely sell them a little more.

The Rhumb Line - Ra Ra Riot 4/5
One of the best albums this year. Although the album seems to be a dark reflection on the death of their former drummer there are some great up beat cuts in there to. Death Cab for Cutie meets Tapes N Tapes plus a splash of the 80s. The first song Ghost Uner Rocks is great but really the whole album stands up well.

Live at the Old Quarter - Townes Van Zandt 3.5/5
A classic double disc that is made for rainy Sundays with the New York times. The set starts with the best cover of Pancho and Left every recorded live. Fraternity Blues and Kathleen(on a side note I love songs where my friends names are in the song or the title. See Kissing the Beehive by Wolf Parade to catch my second of recognition) are 2 others worth a listen.

If you are going to start somewhere in this list I'd go with Ra Ra Riot's The Rhumb Line but Lightbulds and In the future would be close seconds.

No comments: